Thursday, October 29, 2015
Thursday, October 1, 2015
WHAT IS "HOMECOMING"?
What Gunn Events are Planned and Why Should You Care?
Homecoming is a long-standing tradition at many American high schools and colleges. It is a celebration of the school community and is a chance for current students to join with returning alumni and the rest of the school community to develop "school spirit" and camaraderie.
Here are two of many links to a full description of the American Homecoming tradition:
Each year, Gunn High School plans an entire week of events to bring students together to get to know each other, have fun, and develop a sense of belonging to the Gunn community. Homecoming week is organized primarily by the Gunn Student Activities Center (Lisa Hall, director) with help from the student leaders of each class (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior Student Councils). Staff and teachers try to reduce the workload during that time, and many take part in the games and events themselves.
This year, Homecoming week is the week of October 19 and ends with the dance on Saturday October 24. The theme this year is “The Happiest Week on Earth“; a full list of events follows, but highlights include:
- Competitions between the freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior classes held daily at brunch and lunch;
- Students and staff will dress up in different costumes every day;
- Night Rally: Thursday, October 22nd, is the climax of the week, with float stuffing (2-7:00pm), and the fantastic Night Rally at 8 pm in the Titan Gym, with doors opening at 7:45pm. Tickets are required for everyone. Please watch for school announcements to know when they go on sale.
- Dance: Saturday 24, semi-formal. Date not needed! (Dress code enforced! page 26 of the student handbook: http://gunn.pausd.org/sites/default/files/15-16%20Gunn%20Handbook.pdf)
- Boys attire: Khakis, button-down shirt, with or without tie
- Girls attire: dress but floor-length isn't necessary
For a full description of all the games and events planned, go to the Gunn Website ("For Students" tab, "Student Activities", "Campus Events"): https://sites.google.com/site/gunnstudentactivities/homecoming-week
Homecoming events are communicated broadly and frequently to all the students, in the hopes that each and every student will find an activity that appeals to them. Even if a student does something easy and uncomplicated - like watch the competitive games, dress-up with their class theme, or attend the rally (a favorite, this is when the Air Band contest happens!), come to the football game, or just affix one or two tissue-paper balls to the class float - they are almost assuredly going to experience "school spirit" and feel a part of the community - which is the goal!
According to Ms. Hall, the "top 5" events she suggests students take part in:
- "Stuff a Bench" game
- Help build/stuff their class float
- Attend and watch the night rally
- Go to Friday's football game and see the class floats at half time
- Attend the semi-formal dance on Saturday
Encourage your student to attend any all activities, even if "ironically". They will be glad they did!
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Hall: firstname.lastname@example.org.
GO GUNN TITANS!!