Thursday, March 13, 2014

Site Council

MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD! VOTE TODAY 
for Your 2014-2016 Gunn HS Site Council Parent Representatives
We are pleased to present the following slate of parent-candidates for the 2014-2016 Site Council. Each year, two of the four parent representatives serving on Site Council come up for re-election. According to Site Council bylaws, incumbent representatives can only serve two consecutive terms (four years). This year, Geoff Butner and Becky Thomas will retire their seats. Geoff and Becky served two years of distinguished service to Gunn’s Site Council. Thanks to Geoff Butner and Becky Thomas who have graciously offered their services to our community.
Please vote for TWO (2) candidates and either fax, mail or email it to the Site Council office here at Gunn by the Thursday, March 20 deadline. Please email your e-ballot to rhart@pausd.orgPlease include your Gunn student's name and grade on your e-ballot. 
NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE A STUDENT ATTENDING GUNN THIS YEAR TO VOTE. ONLY ONE BALLOT PER HOUSEHOLD ACCEPTED. The ballot must be in the office by March 20. 
If you have any questions about the election process or the Site Council, please call the office (650) 849-7932) or email rhart@pausd.org. Election results will be announced in next month’s Gunn Connection. VOTE NOW!!! 
STACEY ASHLUND, Parent of Brendan Creemer (9th grade)
I served on site council at Juana Briones for 2 years. We tracked and assessed progress on programs for ELL, Language Arts, and Special Education. I’ve served on the(CACC Community Advisory Committee) for Special Education since 2009 and currently serve as vice-chair with inclusion and organize parent ed events. I’ve been PIE chair at Terman (2 years) and co-chair at Gunn (1 year). I’m on the PIE Advisory Board and the City of Palo Alto Parks and Recreation Commission. I consult in User ExperienceResearch and Design. I have a 6th grader at Terman and a 9th grader at Gunn. I’m excited to help serve on site council at Gunn. Go Titans!
TERRY CONNELLY, Parent of Lianna McFarlane-Connelly (11th grade) and Kaelyn McFarlane-Connelly (8th grade - JLS)
My wife Jennifer McFarlane and I live at 561 Jackson Drive in Palo Alto with out two daughters, Lianna McFarlane-Connelly, who is currently a junior at Gunn, and her sister Kaelyn MCFarlane-Connelly, an 8th grader in the Connections program at JLS who has applied to join her sibling at Gunn next year as a freshman. 
My background includes a career as a corporate lawyer at the Cravath firm in New York and London; managing director and chief of staff of investment banking at Salomon Brothers; head of investment banking at Cowen & Company; and director of strategic advisory services at Ernst & Young in Australia (where I also taught a graduate business school class on strategic management). I served for seven years as dean (now emeritus) of the Ageno School of Business at Golden Gate University, and for six years on the Board of Trustees of Sofia University here in Palo Alto, as well as prior service on the Board of the Trevor Day School in New York City. I am now semi-retired and would highly value the opportunity to work with you on the Site Council.
JANE DICK, Parent of Shepherd (“Shep”) Dick (8th grade) 
I have extensive experience collaborating on parent-staff teams and would love to volunteer my time and efforts for the Gunn Site Council. I served for two years on the Ohlone Elementary Site Council, including one year as chair. I have also held several board-level positions in the Ohlone PTA, the JLS PTA, and the Palo Alto PTA Council (Ohlone: Secretary, VP Communications, co-President, President; JLS: Parliamentarian; PTAC: co-Secretary). I have also enjoyed serving as the co-Chair of the Connections Board at JLS for two years, and I am finishing up 6 years on the Friends of Preschool Family board, the last 3 as president. I volunteer my time in these ways because I value the amazing communities of parents and staff members at our schools, and I see these collaborative groups as important contributors to the vibrancy of our schools and Palo Alto community.
RAMJI DIGUMARTHI, Parent of Pieter Digumarthi-Dykstra (10th grade) 
I volunteer at the library and am the co-coordinator for the 2016 Parent Network. I also work with the Fairmeadow Elementary School PTA and served on their school site council. 
POLLY DIFFENBAUGH, Parent of Aaron Rohit Diffenbaugh (9th grade), Elanor Diffenbaugh (7th grade), and Lucia Diffenbaugh (4th grade)
I am interested in serving on the Gunn Site Council for 2014-16. I have a freshman student at Gunn now and I will have another student starting after next year. I currently work at the Stanford Teacher Education Program (STEP) as a pre-service teacher mentor and lecturer. I am a former middle and high school science teacher and I have experience with schools and school systems in California. I served on the site council at Barron Park Elementary from 2010-2012, and so have experience with creating and evaluating site plans and working as a team with administrators, teachers, students and other parents. I am interested in working to support the student body, teachers and parents of Gunn High School and in bringing my educational expertise to the group as a parent representative of the site council. 
MANUEL GUERRERO, Parent of Michael Werer (10th grade)
More than 10 years experience in finance activities, six of them in non-profits and three in a peninsula school. Served as Alternate Parent on Gunn Site Council this past year. Participating in our school activities sends two important messages: First, it means appreciation and support for the school staff. Second, it shows our kids, how important their education is. 
LUCY HSU, Parent of Jarrod Hsu (10th grade), Atticus Kelem (10th grade), and Jasmine Kelem (8th grade)
I have 30+ years of experience as a volunteer and board member for multiple education non-profits, including financial responsibilities. I have several years of experience working on and with the board of a corporate foundation, including the selection of grant recipients.  
OLGA KNAUER, Parent of Nicole Knauer (9th grade) 
I am a strong believer in high-quality education, and this was the major factor for our relocation to Palo Alto, which doesn't make me unique, right? As a mother and an immigrant, I know and appreciate the diversity in our schools and welcoming atmosphere for all cultural and social economical backgrounds. PAUSD, with its excellent staff, challenging curriculum, fun extra opportunities, and safe environment help our kids to thrive. 
Watching my daughter going through Nixon, Terman, and now heading to Gunn, I can not be happier as a parent. I feel that now it is my time to "pay back", volunteering as Site Council. I asked myself: "what can I contribute, if selected?" Having 15+ years experience as a software engineer for companies like Sony, Transamerica, etc., working with financial applications, I prove to be an analytical, conservative decision maker. Teaching the last two years different computer science disciplines to adults, I better understand a student's perspective and differences. If given an opportunity, I will bring a passion for safe, challenging, welcoming schools for EVERY student in PAUSD.
LIZ MILNER, Parent of Abi (11th grade), Emily (8th grade), and Thomas (6th grade)
I have been involved in various ways with my kids in the school district including pioneering "Hoover Helping Hands" - a community support and resource group at Hoover that galvanized the community whenever a teacher, employee, student or family had a need, and I'm a parent network coordinator at Terman. I've been a room parent more often than I can remember. I have a daughter who is currently a Junior and an upcoming Freshman and a 6th grader so I'll be at Gunn for a while.
I am a minister in a local church and have extensive experience in dealing with people, kids, parents, and also helping an organization make decisions and implement vision. I have done much conflict resolution and counseling of many different types of people. I oversee much of the event and organizational planning at my office, and manage others and several budgets. I have also had experience in working as a volunteer chaplain at a local jail, with inmates of all backgrounds, faiths and needs, and am currently exploring connections with a hospice. Before I moved to America I was a high school math teacher in London and my first degree is in mathematics and I'm now a Masters student locally. I'd love to help Gunn move forward in a positive, excellent and caring way. 
SAMMY OH, Parent of Matthew Oh (9th grade), two younger sons (5th grade and 7th grade)
I have previously been on the Site Council at Hoover Elementary and am currently on the Site Council at Terman Middle School. Professionally, I have been in the Investment Management industry for over 20 years and am currently a Managing Director at Palisade Capital Management, where I manage over $2 billion in assets. I currently volunteer my time with my sons' Boy Scout Troop and have previously coached a number of my sons' sports teams. Education has always been a keen interest of mine and I have a vested interest in Gunn's success, given that I will eventually have three sons that will attend the school. 
JYOTI SAHDEV, Parent of Arjun Sahdev (10th grade)
I have three children, one of whom attended Gunn high school and graduated in 2007. Currently, I have a sophomore, Arjun Sahdev. Last year I had the pleasure of serving on the Gunn Advisory Committee. It was hard, yet worthwhile, work where we worked on student needs first and foremost. The GAC, similar to the Site Council, was a collaborative effort with members from students, teachers, administrators and parents. After participating on the GAC, I learned how the school operates. All the stakeholders have to work together. Lastly, I work as a family dental surgeon and own my office. All business decisions related to the running of my office are made by me. I would like to be considered for Site Council. 
JOANNA SCHLOSS, Parent of Andrew Schloss (10th grade) and younger daughters (Middle and Elementary School)
I have been an excited and passionate member of the JLS site council for the last few years. I also served for many years on the Palo Verde Site council. I love being on the Site Council as I feel that a holistic view of the school can be achieved through this portion of the school's governing body. Interestingly enough, I was a student representative on the Gunn Site council between the years of 1987 and 1988. For me, this could be the complete cycle of serving our district.
NIBEDITA SHARMA, Parent of Saurav (Neil) (10th grade) 
I have been a Gunn parent since 2005 and have participated in PTA and various events. I have a strong bond with Gunn and would love to contribute and participate in any way I can. Being a Program Manager at Cisco, I have extensive experience in managing projects as well as funds, and feel that I can provide valuable support in decision making situations. I will help in making the right choice taking into consideration all aspects of the situation. 
BALLOT FOR 2014-2016 SITE COUNCIL PARENT REPRESENTATIVES 
Vote for 2 candidates either on paper or electronically by MARCH 20. 
 Voters must have a student now at Gunn. One ballot per household, please. 
Stacey Ashlund
Terry Connelly 
Jane Dick 
Ramjiu Digumarthi 
Polly Diffenbaugh
Manuel Guerrero
Lucy Hsu 
Olga Knauer 
Liz Milner 
Sammy Oh 
Jyoti Sahdev 
Joanna Schloss 
Nita Sharma 
IN ORDER FOR BALLOT TO COUNT, INCLUDE STUDENT’S NAME AND GRADE
Your Gunn Student’s Name: ______________________________________ Grade: ____________
Mail:  Gunn HS Site Council: 780 Arastradero Road, Palo Alto, CA 94306 
Fax:  Gunn HS Site Council: (650) 493 - 7801 

No comments :

Post a Comment